Friday, November 22, 2013

Starting Our DIY Christmas...

Christmas decorations, in our house, don't usually make an appearance until the day after Thanksgiving.  This is was the tradition that my mom started with me, and I just can't bring myself to do it any other way.  I have always been very type A about my Christmas decorations.  They have to be perfect, organized and in sync.  Who am I kidding?
I have four children ranging from 11 to almost 3.  Why can't the decorations be more fun?
 
The goal for Christmas this year, kid made and approved decorations; plus a few handmade touches from me.
 


I have seen tons of craft cones covered in burlap, on Pinterest for Christmas decorations.  I am not really fond of burlap, it doesn't really fit in my house, but I loved the look all the same.
 
 
Supplies:
  • 1 1/4 inch Ribbon (mine were spools about 9 ft long)
  • Styrofoam craft cones
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Candlesticks (optional)
  •  


The ribbon that I found was on clearance for only $2.00 a spool and I just loved the colors.  The design really doesn't scream Christmas, but they are red and green!
 
I cut a strip of the ribbon and glued it to the bottom of the cone and then repeated it on the other side.
 


Starting from the bottom, I simply started wrapping the ribbon around the cone at an angle. Gluing the ribbon each time I came back to the starting side of the cone.
 




During the wrapping process the ribbon wasn't really staying flat to the cone, but I honestly liked the look of it with the folds.  I think that it added a nice little touch of texture to the decoration.
 
 


The three candlesticks that I placed the cones on normally sit on my kitchen table, until about a month ago.  One of the kiddos, trying to clean the table after dinner, broke one of the candles.  Not too big of a deal, but since then, only two candlesticks have been on the table.  Now I have three again, and a pretty table decor.
 
 




 
 


 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like your calling card, tell me what you think!