I'm always on the lookout for cute but inexpensive ways to decorate for the Holidays or just the seasons. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous displays and decor in other peoples houses, but honestly I don't have the time or the resources for that. We keep it simple and cheap! While looking for some ways to decorate for fall I stumbled upon this adorable idea to turn a trick or treating pail into a planter.
The finished product turned out absolutely adorable and again it was so affordable!
I had two left over trick or treating pails from last Halloween, they were orange and green and a little bent but that wasn't really a problem. I simply pressed the bent parts out with my fingers until they reshaped and got to work. The pails had a small plastic handle that was easily removed by cutting them with plain kitchen scissors.
Honestly they wouldn't be too horrible just left this way, but I wanted something a little nicer.
I was trying to use what I had on hand, and due to some prior projects I had a can of white Rust-Oleum spray paint primer, it's made to cover plastic and I will typically use this to prime any plastic craft. I'm honestly not sure if it's really required to prime these but I had it on hand and figured why not. I also had this nice hammered bronze color, also made by Rust-Oleum, for the finishing color. I have noticed in the past that sometimes the hammered look works and sometimes it doesn't, for this project I wasn't really worried about the finish, just the color.
It only took about two coats of the primer to completely erase the green and orange colors of the pails.
The bronze turned out exactly how I imagined it, and the hammered detail actually worked this time as well.
There isn't anything fancy about these Jack O Lantern Pail Planters but I think they are perfect for my front porch. I placed one on the table section of my front porch bench and the other on the steps leading to my front porch. All in all, I spent a whopping $3 for the mums (they were on sale) and this entire project. My pails already had a hole drilled into the bottom so I didn't add any extra holes for drainage.