Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oklahoma...O K L A H O M A....Oklahoma yowl!



I sometimes participate in a writing prompt organized by Momma Kat a little while ago one of the prompts was to talk about your childhood house with diagram. I missed it thanks to the spat going on inside my computer, and was upset because the prompt made me think of home.  On top of that my car radio thinks that I should only listen to country music, I am not a big fan of country but I tolerate it.  A song came on the radio called Blown Away by Carrie Underwood, these things caused me to spend the past week reminiscing of my roots.




 I was born and raised in Lawton/ Ft Sill Oklahoma. I often joke that most people probably forget that Oklahoma is even a state, but to be honest with myself there isn't much to recommend the land of my roots....
 

Landlocked, prairies, a few mountain ranges, lots of man made lakes, Buffalo, and Tornado Ally, that is what I remember.  I lived in Oklahoma for the first 19 years of my life, before marriage and moving to Alabama, then I  eventually moved to Kentucky.  I have spent 10 years living away from Oklahoma (yeah I know you guys are doing the age math over there), and I haven't visited since Bubby was 2.  I told Jerm the other day that I need to go, I need to touch the red earth of Oklahoma soon.

I know that Oklahoma doesn't seem like much to some people, I mean come on there isn't really anything fancy about the place but Roger and Hammerstein  did make a musical about Oklahoma (well sort of)  and Hugh Jackman thought it is something to sing about.....


There may not be much to recomed the state but there are some interesting facts about Oklahoma:
 
Originally Indian Territory, the state of Oklahoma was opened to settlers in a "Land Rush" in 1889. On a given date, prospective settlers would be allowed into the territory to claim plots of land by grabbing the stakes marking each plot. A few of these settlers entered to claim land before the official start of the land run; these cheaters were called "Sooners". ( Boomer Sooner *football reference LOL*)

 The bread twist tie was invented in Maysville, OK.
The shopping cart was invented in Ardmore in 1936.
The first Girl Scout Cookie was sold in Muskogee in 1917.

So basically you can thank Oklahoma for bread staying in it's bag then giving you the ability to hold cords together with the twist ties, for not having to lug all those kiddos and shopping items around in your bare hands, and who isn't thankful for Girl Scout cookies!!

Plus there really are some very beautiful places in Oklahoma.....

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge (in my hometown of Lawton)

   

The 77-foot waterfall at Natural Falls State Park
  


So the moral of this blog.....nothing....I was just reminiscing, and missing home.  I love Kentucky it is a gorgeous state, but every once in a while I still need to feel the Oklahoma wind blowing, and stand on a high spot and be able to see for miles around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like your calling card, tell me what you think!